Thursday, May 24, 2018

Q 4 Week 7

Welcome to Quater 4 Week 7!  This week is a BRAGpost, not a BLOGpost!  I have to take some time and BRAG about one of my past mentees, 
Mrs. Kelsey Christian.  

When I met Kelsey,  I was in my 14th year in education.  I was teaching 2nd grade in Cabarrus County. She was fresh out of college and I was her first ever teammate!  We were assigned to teach 2nd grade together.  Our classrooms were joined by an office and 2 doors-she kept her door shut because I was too loud and told her when her posters were crooked!   


(Kelsey is on the left-my daughter is on the right.)

Honestly, we could not have been more different.  She was a young, tall, hip 20-year-old and I was an older, shorter, not so hip mother of 2 at the time.  But we totally clicked!  Who knows why but we really brought the best teacher out in each other.  I was able to mentor her through the ropes of lesson planning, behavior, dealing with parents and all the stuff teachers deal with daily.   

She helped me be more of a risk taker and to look at kiddos in a different light.  You see, she has a special way of noticing the very best in the ALL children.  She can work with children that have some of the most difficult challenges & make them successful. 

After 8 years in Cabarrus County, (2 with Kelsey) I decided I needed a change and moved to a brain-based charter school. I convinced Kelsey to move with me & we got to dive into the world of brain-based learning together.   

Being at new charter school, we didn't have much to start with, so teachers poured a ton of money into their classrooms.  One of my favorite purchases was a giant blue brain decal for my wall.  Even though that year was the last year we taught together, it was a year that really cemented our belief on how executive function must not be overlooked in the classroom.  



I am so happy I get to brag on Kelsey today!  She took the idea of the big blue brain and grew it in her classroom.  She did what good teachers do.  She made it her own & brought it to her students.  Kelsey was featured on EduChalkboard talking about the big blue brain and how she uses it as a concept map for social intelligence, academics & behavior in her classroom.  Please read and comment to Kelsey!  She is an amazing teacher that touches the lives of children in her community with purpose and love!  


You never know when a friend will come into your life and become family!  Kelsey has become more than a friend to me-she is like a sister!  

Learn from each other~That is what great teachers do! 


 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment