Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Q3 Week 5

This week,  let's examine the idea of share writing. Too often our schedules don't allow much time for writing instruction.  In a strong Balanced Literacy classroom,  you will find both reading and writing instruction taking place.  I wanted to take this blogpost into the world of shared writing.  

Shared Writing is a time in the classroom where the teacher acts as a guide in modeling and shaping language for students. The students and teacher work together to create a piece of writing.  It is especially important for our struggling readers and ELL students to engage in shared writing. Shared writing allows students the opportunity to express their thinking orally first and then to be able to see it in written form modeled by the teacher.  

Check out this article Must Know Tips for Shared Writing written by Regie Routman to gain some insight on strategies for shared writing. 


The video below is a good example of how a teacher can engage in shared writing & sharing the pen with their students. 

One of my favorite shared writing activities is morning message.  This can be used in all grades! Students love to come into to a message or to watch as a teacher constructs a message. Check out a morning message in 3rd grade below!
I love they way this teacher using call and response plus her word wall to guide students during a morning message.  They always LOVE when you make mistakes and they catch you.  Wink, wink!
Grab a FREE copy of this Balanced Literacy infographic from The Reading Mama!  It is a great visual for how teachers and students work together in a Balanced Literacy classroom!



 photo signature.png

19 comments:

  1. I love to dictate my sentence during writing and have the kids come and written my sentence for me! They LOVE this because now that “wrote Mrs. Derberry’s sentence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara~Thank you for commenting! I am sure they love writing "Mrs. Derberry's" sentence:) Nothing made my kinders & firsties happier then when I wrote a sentence with some mistakes and they got to correct me! I also colored coded my morning message so that they could better see where the greeting was and even punctuation. I would love to come team teach a morning message if you want. We would be so entertaining together!

      Delete
  2. Writing has definitely taken a back seat and its sad. These babies need more writing instruction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky~Totally agree! I know the younger grades are working really hard to carve out more writing time. I miss free writing/journaling with the older grades. You can really get some insight into their lives this way. Would it be possible to do a Free Write Friday for morning work? At least you could get a pencil in their hands without pressure to answer a question. Love visiting in your room!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first video especially made me miss having my own class and watching them grow as writers. Writing probably my favorite thing to teach! I love how she had students put hands down and eyes on the speaker, I’m going to try that. Friday afternoon I did some note taking with Mrs. Lee’s class and I’m going to ask her if she’d let me come back for the writing part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that she is teaching speaking and listening skills too! So important for children to learn at a young age. I love all the writing that you are doing with your classes!!!
      Monica

      Delete
    2. My first graders could use your note taking lesson :)

      Delete
  5. Also wanted to mention that I saw Brenda Martin responding to her students in their writing journals. She lets them use a composition book or an electronic journal and responds to each entry with lots of questions to keep the conversation flowing. I loved how personal it was and how the kids truly opened up and shared things they probably wouldn’t say out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to check this out! I love journal writing. Brenda does an awesome job adding technology into her lessons. Thank you for sharing!
      Monica

      Delete
  6. I love all the kindergarten teacher's songs and chants that she uses during her morning meeting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! I love using songs and chants to keep kiddos focused:)
      Monica

      Delete
  7. The more time you give the students to write the better writers they become!!!! I try to spend at least 20 minutes a day on writing!!!!

    I also love the songs and chants that the K teacher use!!!! You know me I love to dance and sing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you carve our 20 minutes for your kiddos to write everyday! The more we get them writing the less stressful it becomes. Plus, singing and dancing never hurts!
      Monica

      Delete
  8. I wish that kids did not hate writing soooo much because of what we have done to them with the mclass question stems. They feel like there is a write or wrong answer or a certain length that it needs to be. I remember a lot of success in writing when I used to do "Daily News" as a shared writing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally wish we could find more time for them to journal without guidelines or restrictions. Just writing about what is in their heart:)
      Monica

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the "PIE" acronym!! I feel like there is so many strategies and ways to incorporate writing and I'm just so new to it all. I feel like the best way for me to learn is to just go around and observe all the teachers at PV!

    ReplyDelete